Saturday, April 4, 2009

fulfilling my godmotherly duties

I'm shocked by how productive we ended up being today. So often, Saturday is the day of recovery, Sunday is when we get on the ball, and then on Monday morning I'm pining for *another* day of recovery. It works out better this way, with a flurry of errands and cleaning on this first day of the weekend, and an obligation-free Sunday. Well, tomorrow isn't exactly obligation free (brunch plans + baby shower) but certainly nothing demanding.

Today we lunched at Kien Gang, much to the abject joy of my future husband. That boy, he dearly loves his vermicelli #3. I'm still not 100% sold on Vietnamese food, or at least haven't found anything there I'm crazy about, but managed to do my own bowl of vermicelli justice. Then we stole some produce from the K&S Market (ok, we didn't steal anything. That's just how it feels, because that place is alarmingly cheap). I found a couple of gorgeous Asian pears that smell like perfume, and a handful of honey tangerines, and lemongrass for the tilapia we're cooking on Wednesday. We also stocked up on a vast variety of fruity sodas made with sugar instead of HFC: ginger beer, grapefruit and apple sodas. Then we made it back to the east side and finished our grocery shopping, drama free, at the Eastland Kroger. I'm so tired of leaving the Inglewood Kroger angry every week. It's worth it to me to drive the extra five minutes (or ten or twenty) to not be tempted to storm out of the store midway through my shopping list. It is my dearest hope that the wild rumors of a Wild Oats, Trader Joes or Publix coming to East Nashville will come to fruition soon.

When we got home we cleaned the house, including mopping the floors and shaking out the area rugs. Every week has felt like spring cleaning lately, but it's so, so, so worth it to wake up in a clean house that I don't mind walking around in my bare feet. We watched a favorite episode of Firefly, then threw together a delicious dinner: fried eggs and sage country sausage, a fruit salad (pineapple, cantaloupe and one of those honey tangerines) and fried plantains! This was our first foray into plantain (don't ask me why) and we were both thrilled with the result. Yes, this was a fry-heavy dinner, but somehow didn't feel too terrible for us. I only used a tablespoon of butter, which makes me feel better.

Now we're holed up in Leia and Richie's tv cave, doing the easiest babysitting job of all time (the boys were already asleep when we arrived). They have that fancy Netflix box where we can call up movies at will, so we're about to start Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, which I've never seen. Austin swears I'll enjoy it. I do love the soundtrack, so that's a good start, right?

Movie time!

No comments: